Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bit by the lace bug!



Yes, more lace!

This is the Adamas Shawl designed by Miriam Felton. For those of you who know your Greek (or Latin ) the name will most likely be familiar to you. If you need a little help, check out the link for the translation. Or here's a hint....adamant. "I was adamant in my desire to knit this shawl even though my husband thought I was nuts!"

The designer loves to name her patterns with classically derived names. I love that! This yarn has been in my stash for years and was going to be Icarus but I was afraid I was going to be a little short on the yardage. But I have many reasons why I still need to knit Icarus. One reason being my love of the band Kansas. That may seem a weird connection but you Kansas fans know what I'm talking about. (I'm sure I'm only talking to myself but oh well)




Anyway...this yarn is one skein (850 yds) of Alpaca with a Twist "Fino". It is 70% Baby Alpaca, 30% Silk. The color is a light lilac or periwinkle. I used size 4 Knitpicks Options needles (love those pointy tips!). After blocking the size is 72" across the back and 36" from upper edge to the point.

2 comments:

Marie N. said...

Adamas is beautiful!

I'm knitting my first shawl from a lace pattern now. It is inspiring to see other people's finished, blocked, work as I plod along.

Unknown said...

Wow, That is wonderful!! I don't know the connection between Icarus and Kansas, but I am sure you will do the Icarus shawl someday. Soon. Michele