Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pi Cloth Experimentation

It was time for a circular cloth knit in the round.

This is a great way to practice the Lighter Circular Beginning (second half of that video) Or if you don't like youtube here it is in still pictures: last entry here

This is also a great way to get your mind wrapped around a knit on border. It is easier to knit a knit on border than it is to figure out how to knit a knit on border. In other words once you have the start of it figured out the rest is a snap to knit.


For the doubling rounds I used the knit in the front and back of each stitch so I wouldn’t have the YO holes. The pattern on the main part of the cloth was not from a stitch dictionary. I drew it in Excel. The knit on border is from a stitch dictionary.









Unblocked (smoothed flat) it is about 10” in diameter.










Blocked it measures 10.5 inches.

The yarn is Pisgah Yarn & Dyeing Co., Inc America's Best Article 960, Perle Cotton (Size 5, mercerized). Color: Lime #56.

I used size 2 double pointed bamboo needles (8" long) for the whole thing.

The pattern is still in handwritten notes but I do have plans on writing it up with links and details for the tricky parts.

Ravelry link to project.

6 comments:

Marie N. said...

The experiment looks like a grand success! I've knit on borders before, but only to hem lines and such, never in the round.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is... Amazing!

Unknown said...

WOW, that is one beauuuuutiful cloth! You are so talented. Want teach a class based on this? TM

Lotzastitches said...

Hmmm...a class....I just may be interested in doing that.

I was going to try and have the pattern written up by the 24th of July but I've playing games on Webkins!

Lynda said...

This is beautiful and I would take the class if you taught one!

CraftyCarole said...

wow that is really gorgeous. i'm impressed!