Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Socks for the kids

This is a pair of socks for dd#3. It is Lang Jawool sock yarn. Medium blue. Done on Knitpicks #0 circular, 9.5 spi, 13 rpi.
Queen Kahuna style *again*. Favorite way.

I did another pair of socks (no picture) for dd#2. They are exactly the same as her other pair...Knitpicks denim...only a little bit bigger.

I really need to keep knitting socks for these two so they have more than one or two pair each. My dd#1 has a pair of socks on her own knitting needles. Way cool!

Socks for me

These socks are Bearfoot Mountain Colors. The color is called Huckleberry. The yarn is 60% superwash wool, 25% mohair and 15% nylon. Each skein is 4 oz., about 350 yds.

It is very soft cuddly yarn and the socks are one of the warmest I've got.

These were done on #0 Addis toe up (9 spi). Turkish Cast on (7 wraps). Then Queen Kahuna style up. 36 sts. on each circular needle. Instep rib: k2, p2, *k4, p2* repeat between asterisks, end with k2.

These are Schaefer "Anne" yarn that I picked up at Stitches Midwest. The yarn is 60% merino wool superwash, 25% mohair, 15% nylon. The skeins are 4 oz., about 560 yards. Hmmm...not sure of the color. It's dark blue and dark green.

These were also done on #0 Addi Turbo. 10-11 spi. 39 sts on each circular needle. Did Aloha cast on from Queen Kahuna. I did little holes (just yo's) every other knit panel on the ribbing.

These are also nice cuddy, soft, warm socks.

Mini Sweaters

I saw some cute little sweaters on the Loose Ends Christmas tree and was reminded of the pattern I had to make some for my family (5), my sister's family (4), my parents (2) and dh's work friends (15). It got a little carried away...especially since I started them in December. But it was so much fun using the different sock yarns I've got...some of which haven't become socks yet.

The finished measurements are 2" high and 1 3/4" for the body. Measuring tip of cuff to other cuff is 3 3/4". The ribbing was done on size 1 bamboo dpns and the rest was done on size 2's. I mistakenly used size 1's for a whole sweater and it really did make quite a difference in size. I gave that one away to a neighbor so can't measure it.

The pattern is here. It's the same site that has that cute bunny I posted about not long ago. The pattern is done in the round from the neck down. Once you get to the sleeves you do those flat. Then back to the body in the round. Sew up the sleeves weaving the yarn to take care of any underarm holes. It is a perfectly functional sweater if you had something that small you could dress! Done with different size needles with different size yarn you'd get a differet size sweater.

For the hangers...I bent some craft wire using a nail knitting board to form the bottom of the triangle. Did some twisting by hand and then with a smooth pliers to be sure the end was not pokey. Snipped the wire from the roll and formed the little hook over something roundish...the seam ripper handle was handy for that.


Here are some pictures of Christmas ornaments we made for our local yarn store. Various businesses decorated indoor trees. The public was able to vote on their favorite trees. It was for some charity. Once the viewing was over the ornaments went back to the yarn store and were sold with the proceeds going to the local food pantry.

The Christmas tree and star were made by knitting a rectangular piece and felting it. After drying, I cut out the shapes. It was tough cutting...especially the tree. Ended up with a blister.

We then needle felted on the tree. On the star we sprayed a little glue and sprinkled with a really fine glitter.

I forget how many of each we made. A dozen or so of the tree and star, 3 or so pairs of socks and maybe 6 stockings. Something like that.

Even my dd got into the act by making about a dozen of these scrubbie ornaments. By putting together three different scrubbies it makes a cute little ball.